With summer right around the corner here in New Zealand, I've been trying to cut back on the amount of dairy and sugar I consume, and looking for healthy substitutes to curb my cravings and satisfy my sweet tooth. Last week, while shopping at the wholefoods store, I discovered these Little Bird macaroons.
Little Bird is a New Zealand company who creates raw organic foods and even runs an 'unbakery' in Auckland.
When I saw these macaroons on the shelf, I thought they'd be the perfect treat when I needed a hit of sweetness... until I saw the price tag. So I flipped over the bag and read the ingredients. I can totally make that! So instead of spending $12 on a bag of 6 macaroons, I spent it on these simple ingredients: Coconut, Raw Cacao, Coconut Oil, Vanilla, Coconut Sugar, Maple Syrup, and Sea Salt.
Then I returned home to do a little experimenting, and to my surprise created something pretty delightful in only 5 minutes. When it comes to raw deserts, a little goes a long way - no filler means it's rich and satisfying. And no baking means no waiting around to get your fix!
These divine little treats are sure to perk up your day. They're made from a blend of raw cacao, coconut and vanilla, then sweetened with coconut sugar and a hint of maple. Raw cacao is packed full of antioxidants and bliss chemicals. There are also tons of health benefits associated with coconut oil. These chocolate macaroons may just help you look and feel good all at the same time!
Ingredients yields 6 macaroons
- 3 heaping tbsp of raw 100% cacao (finely ground or powder)
- 4 tbsp of unsweetened raw finely shaved coconut
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of coconut sugar (or sugar substitute like agave nectar)
- 2 tbsp of 100% maple syrup (if the macaroons aren't quite sticking add a bit more of this)
- pinch of sea salt
- Add all of your ingredients together in a bowl.
- Using a hand mixer or blender, blend the ingredients together until they form a thick clumpy dough-like substance. If it's not sticking together enough, drizzle a little more syrup or coconut oil and mix again.
- Once thoroughly mixed, take a spoonful of 'dough' and roll it into a ball.
- To add a little more goodness to your macaroons, roll them into whatever healthy topping you like - chia seeds, coconut flakes, flax, you choose.
- Refrigerate and Enjoy!